Monday, April 5, 2010

Personal and Private Victory


You must have seen the book “The 7 Habits of highly effective people” in the bookstore selfs, in yours colleague’s desk; and If you are someone like me, possible you have ignored it. Yes I did, I ignored this treasure for about fourteen years of my professional career. 
This posting is dedicated to the wise man who showed me this light. 
This story is funny. I was part of a training program and the Instructor was talking about perception change or paradigm shift. He said something like this .. “Well if you think you can find a parking spot in New York city, you will find it, only thing is that you have to believe in it” .. I was like what? I was skeptical, I even raised my hand and asked “sorry I did no get it, that is impossible”. how?
Over coffee break I approached him and asked  “I know I am skeptical and I am not capable “outcome thinking”. may be this is possible, but how do I train my brain? How do I change the conditioning that I have gone through over the years? how do I “shift my paradigm” .. The guru smiled and told me have  you heard about the - “The 7 habits of highly effective People”book? .. Read that; may be that will help you.   
So when I got back, I run to the book store and got myself a copy of shinny red book, and funny thing is I did not know that I even had downloaded audio book version of this book but never listened to it. 
This book has absolutely changed my thinking. In summary the author Steven Covey embody fundamental principals of human effectiveness, these habits are basics and they are primary. They are principles on which enduring happiness and success are based. 
I have told about this book to everyone I could, so my dear friends get this book, if you have read it before, re-read-it. may be give his as gift to someone else. 
Recently we were organizing a career-day event for 7th grader in New york city school. We were asked to do something around empowerment for kids. I suggested we build games or talk around this 7-habits. and we did kids loved it 

No comments:

Post a Comment